View Single Post
Old Fri Oct 30, 2009, 05:32 PM

Promacta for MDS

HI Leslie,

I obtained Promacta from GlaxoSmithKline, it was obtained on a restricted distribution program. It can be applied for at Promactacares.com.
If you go to the site you can obtain information.
Several application pages are filled in by the patient and his physician. I was doubtful that as an MDS patient I would receive the drug but it was processed quickly and I obtained the drug within a few days.
It is somewhat like a mini-drug trial. The doctor must check liver functions via CBCs and report the overall results back to Promactacares within 6 months.

I don't think the way I obtained it is like a conventional clinical trial, it seemed more like restricted distribution program. One does have to pay for it as a drug and it is fairly expensive. The list price for 75 mg (25mg and 50mg tabs) is $5201. On Medicare part D you have to pay thru the gap to get it at 5% of that cost.