View Single Post
Old Sat Dec 12, 2009, 10:20 PM

Rate of decline

Although all 3 bloodlines (reds, whites, and platelets) have been declining, the decline has been most noticeable with the platelets. When I first started getting my blood checked (about 10 years ago), my platelets were around 130K to 150K. Gradually they have declined over the years -- about a month ago they were measured at 40K. The platelet drop has been more or less linear and predictable. Last time, neutrophil counts were down to ~1.3. Hemaglobin has been measured as low as ~9.5, but last time it was 10.5 or so.

I have had 3 bone marrow biopsy & aspirations through the years... The first one about 10 years ago showed me as hypocellular with ~25% cellularity ("normal" should have been ~64%). I had another one about 3 years ago, and then one just a few months ago. The latest showed me as still being hypocellular with ~20% or less active cells ("normal" should have been ~55% at this point, I think).

Up to this point, I have been very blessed -- I have not had any treatments or transfusions of any kind. I also have not had abnormal bleeding or bruising. I have noticed some extra fatigue -- but it is hard to know exactly what is going on with that (i.e. who doesn't feel tired?).

I hope your ATG works out for you this time!

David M