View Single Post
Old Tue Dec 22, 2009, 07:38 PM

Father not doing well.....but some questions

My Dad, 79 years old, was diagnosed with MDS about 14 months ago. Vidaza worked for a while, on and off. To get to the point, he had his third bout with pneumonia recently, was in the hospital 10 days, then a transitional care unit for the last 20. He was scheduled to go home tomorrow, but the past couple of days he took a turn for the worst.

Today, they took him back to the hospital. He is pretty much totally out of it. He just lays there. He has lost at least 30 pounds. He was doing much better until the last 3 or 4 days. The family doctor said it's his disease, and even though his HBG is 9.8 (8 days after a transfusion) and his counts are ok, it's a symptom of the disease. He kind of said it's bad that he is that weak with that good of a count. I kind of don't buy it.

My Dad was fine 6 weeks ago. I understand he is 79 and a lot can happen, but has anyone expeienced such a dropoff so quickly, especially with his counts so good? I think it might be something else, smoething unrelated to the MDS.

Anyhow, he is back in the hospital so that is the best place for him right now. The doctor also said he probably won't get any better and will probably get worse. I dunno, but given what I have learned on this site, I am not as pessimistic. His fever did go up to 100.5 today. I want them to check for some other things before we decide it's going to get worse. Could we be missing something?

He did get a shot of aranesp this week at my request. Could this cause such weakness? Could his potassium be low, as it was before, and they are just missing it? He hardly eats anything, so maybe it can be attributed to his nutrition?

I just wanted to see if anyone has any insight. We're hanging in there. I appreciate all your Prayers. May everyone have a Blessed and Merry Christmas. I am Praying for everyone.