Thread: Transplant
View Single Post
Old Sun Jan 31, 2010, 11:56 AM

Lee,

I can't remember what your clone size was for the PNH but I don't feel that the ATG was for nothing. It's true that ATG will not address the PHN but there are other approaches to treating it other than bone marrow transplant.

So it is true that a BMT will address both the AA and PNH in that it's curative, but there are many docs who don't treat PHN unless the close size is very high. BMTs come with their own set of issues and complications. That's why if the ATG can help the AA, then PNH may be managed with a new drug that came out a few years ago.

There's no one approach to the treatment of AA/PNH and you need to explore all options. Docs all have opinions and biases. You need to hear the various options and decide which is the right one for you.

http://bloodjournal.hematologylibrar...09-03-195966v1

I know how frustrating and overwhelming all of this is. I would consult with NIH and Dr. Brodsky at Johns Hopkins. During this timeframe, you can do a search for match for BMT. Lay out all the options and understand the long-term implications.
Marlene, wife to John DX w/SAA April 2002, Stable partial remission; Treated with High Dose Cytoxan, Johns Hopkins, June 2002. Final phlebotomy 11/2016. As of July 2021 HGB 12.0, WBC 4.70/ANC 3.85, Plts 110K.