Thread: MDS?
View Single Post
Old Tue Feb 2, 2010, 12:45 PM

Smile

I understand your shock.

I didn't have as much of a suprise on the anemia as you did but certainly was surprised to go from 10 sets of competitive level tennis a week to barely feeling like tossing a ball to my sons in a period of 1 month.

I had been diagnosed with Macroblastic Anemia months before but was still able to compete. I think my body had a certain level that it would tolerate and once I dropped below that level I was fatiqued by walking to the mailbox!

I was diagnosed with MDS (del 5q- syndrome) in October, started on Revlimid in late November with 6 units of packed red blood cells in between and then started on Revlimid which has been a wonder drug for me. My HCT has gone from a low of 19.6 in Oct back to nearly normal on yesterdays CBC (34.5).

Stay in shape, don't let the situation take over and fight. Others are on the same path and this forum as well as the one at mds-fountation are great sources of support.

Gene (62)
Male age 64 Dx:RA Del(5q-) Intermediate -1. Dx'd 09/2009 Taking Revlimid 10 mg/day since 11/2009 - now tx independent and normal counts. 2nd BMB results from 5/15/2010: 6 of the 20 specimens now show normal cytogenics.

Last edited by Gene_In_Va : Wed Feb 3, 2010 at 08:52 PM. Reason: Adding signature