View Single Post
Old Tue Feb 9, 2010, 07:24 PM

Son with AA in 2005

David,
When my son was diagnosed with MAA in 2005 I started researching what may have caused his MAA. We stopped all meds (claritin & ? for teeth because we are on a well), moved him out of his bedroom and out of the house for awhile, and went on bottled water. His CBC counts continued to deteriorate and we were probably a month away from a bone marrow transplant looking at the trends. Fortuneately, my younger son was a match if needed. I packed up the family and we left Washington State for Colorado on vacation because of my concerns over air toxins from a chemical plant that produces over 500,000 gallons of Benzene annually and emits tons through evaporation into the air. His CBC counts in Colorado showed improvement for the 1st time in over 4 months. I sent him back to Colorado for Thanksgiving, Xmas, Spring Break, and all the next summer. With each trip he showed improvement upon his return in CBC counts. I had read that at high altitude it stimulates your bone marrow to produce additional red blood cells but all 3 cell counts went up. A cluster study was conducted because 9 kids were sick with AA in our rural area but they would only say that they were sure it wasn't the chemical plant. He continues to leave WA every summer and we are hoping that with his 5th anniversary CBC all his counts will be within the range. Whites and Reds are all okay and just need Platelets and platelet size to improve a little more. I don't know if this would work for you but it is something to consider. I have charted his CBCs and trended them so if you would like his results I would send the Xcel spreadsheet to you. I can be reached at my home e-mail McCarthy_4@comcast.net
The doctor's want you to sit and wait and then they can treat. To me they need to be recommending actions to improve your condition.
John McCarthy