Thread: MDS?
View Single Post
Old Tue Feb 9, 2010, 07:40 PM

MDS - A surprise for me as well.

I went to my family doctor in December for routine check up and blood work to check blood sugar (diabetes 2) and cholesterol levels. My blood counts had been relatively fine. This time, however, all 3 counts (red, white and platelets) dropped dramatically. I was sent immediately to an oncologist for a bone marrow biopsy which confirmed MDS (intermediate 2). I was started on the weeklong routine of Vidaza on the first week of each month. I just finished week 2 of chemo on February 5th. Only have had one red blood 2 unit transfusion just priort to week one of chemo. Platelets are up a bit but red and white cell levels are still about the same in the low level area. But I understand that one needs at least four sessions of Vidaza before reaching any preliminary conclusions.

Unfortunately, I don't deal well with "what if" or "maybe" type responses. I gather that Vidaza only prolongs the inevitable with MDS? That life expectancy is only somewhere between 24 and 36 months? Does anyone have a feel for the answer to my questions.

So far no nausea or adverse side effects with Vidaza. Am grateful for that.