Thread: MDS?
View Single Post
Old Mon Feb 15, 2010, 12:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marais View Post
I went to my family doctor in December for routine check up and blood work to check blood sugar (diabetes 2) and cholesterol levels. My blood counts had been relatively fine. This time, however, all 3 counts (red, white and platelets) dropped dramatically. I was sent immediately to an oncologist for a bone marrow biopsy which confirmed MDS (intermediate 2). I was started on the weeklong routine of Vidaza on the first week of each month. I just finished week 2 of chemo on February 5th. Only have had one red blood 2 unit transfusion just priort to week one of chemo. Platelets are up a bit but red and white cell levels are still about the same in the low level area. But I understand that one needs at least four sessions of Vidaza before reaching any preliminary conclusions.

Unfortunately, I don't deal well with "what if" or "maybe" type responses. I gather that Vidaza only prolongs the inevitable with MDS? That life expectancy is only somewhere between 24 and 36 months? Does anyone have a feel for the answer to my questions.

So far no nausea or adverse side effects with Vidaza. Am grateful for that.
I think we all know how you feel and it is overwhelming at first but as it has already been stated many of those statistics are out dated. Research and treatment for MDS has come so far in the last few years and it continues to improve.
There are so many people that continue to survive it, much longer than those statistics state. My doctor doesn't give timelines etc, he says with all the improvements in treatment and how each patient is different, that he can't predict what may or may not happen.
In my case, I have had an unexpected and brillant response to a very minor treatment, which has brought my counts up to normal and allowed me to lead a normal life. And I have met others with other treatments that have had excellent responses and a much improved prognosis.

Lynn