View Single Post
Old Sat May 8, 2010, 12:15 PM

Update on Mom

We got out of the hospital on Thursday. Pneumonia at bay for the time being. We went to Longview's Cancer Center in Texas yesterday (Friday) and saw a very nice Dr. Koya. He is giving mom Hydrea (w/Allopurinol) and we are waiting to be transfused as I type this. We are back in Texarkana. Strange that we had to go all the way to Longview to get to a doctor that would transfuse us in Texarkana. Mom is taking potassium as well to help with her energy. She's very, very tired but still in good spirits. She's kind of sore all over too. She's on so much medication and much of it needs to be taken separately that we are going to make a chart to help keep track. If anyone has anything like that already set up please send it to me or send the link.
Our onocologist is done with us. Apparently when I asked for a second opinion he got his feelings hurt or something. He had told my mom to call hospice and go home to die. AND he told her exactly how she would die. I guess since we didn't do what he said it insulted him. Before he came through to spew his death crap the hospitalist came through and gave my mom a 10 minute speech about getting her affairs in order so the state didn't get her assets and to fill out the DNR because she won't want to be resussitated. He told some horrible story about someone that didn't listen to his "get prepared" speech and died. I walked in for the last 2 minutes of his bizarro blabbering and had to tell him to move on. We got a different hospitalist the next day who cared enough to help us get treatment elsewhere. He expedited sending her file to Longview and we were at the cancer center the next day.
My brothers are here and one sister is too. The other will be here Monday. We are all very involved in Mom's care. We realize that AML is not curable but we want our Mom to be comfortable and stay with us as long as she can...comfortably.
Lessons learned: Never leave your loved ones in the hospital alone for one second. Never take the advice of doctors who do not care or that do not know enough about the disease.
Please continue to pray for my Mom. We love her and need her--she is the glue that holds our family together.
Mimi, daughter of Lucy age 77, diagnosed MDS Jan. 09; Vidaza Jan 09-Jun 09 no improvement; Clofarabine clinical trial Oct 09-Feb 10 mild improvement in blasts; blasts 4% in Aug 09; 30% Sep 09; 2% in December; 30% in March; AML diagnosed April 2010 .