View Single Post
Old Thu May 27, 2010, 11:37 PM

Hi Jyotika,

Hope your dad is getting better. I can relate my experience on Vidaza and Ayurveda.

My dad is being treated in India as well for MDS RAEB-II which was diagnosed in Feb-2010. He is currently undergoing his third cycle of Vidaza. It is too early to make a call on how well it is working - so far the results are mixed.

His platelets have risen from 40000 at start of first cycle to 125000 now (at one point it was as low as 12000).

Hb has not stabilized and he still needs red blood cell transfusions - has had about 10 units in the last 4 months.

He is also on alternative medicines in parallel (including Ayurvedic medicines). Unlike Vidaza, there were no formal studies in the alternative medicines to prove their efficacy in treating MDS. So we were reluctant to follow that as the sole treatment plan. Both our allopathic and ayurvedic doctors felt that for the immediate future Vidaza provided the best course of action to prevent the disease from degenerating into leukemia and offer a better quality of life.

Wishing your dad and family the very best and hope he starts to feel better soon.