View Single Post
Old Thu Jul 1, 2010, 05:04 PM

Elevated MCV 103 MDS--help please

Hello my name is Bobby Jo and I am new to this forum although I posted once or twice 5 or 6 years ago on the old forum. At that time I had a low wbc-2.9, although it had been on the lower end of normal since I can remember (for about 20 years.) It's since been back to around 4 to 5. What's happening now is that my MVC, which has been on the high side of normal since I can recall, (lowest being 96.?) and one time 6 years ago was 100.6, last few years 99, last year 101, but just a few weeks ago it was 103. For various reasons I'm no longer going to my "GP" so my gastro did the blood work. He's going to follow-up in 3 months with anothe CBC as well as checking for B12 deficiency and Prenicious Anemea, etc. I've had a B12 in the 300's before but a supplement brings it up, so don't think this is my problem. I'm quite frightened that this has now developed into MDS, since the MVC has never been this high & during the past few years it's been a couple points higher than previously. Sorry about the length of this. This forum helped me a great deal several years ago with the low WBC (went to a hemo who watched it for a while and it stayed within normal limits.) My MVC then was 98 or 99 and they never said anything about that. I'm so upset as I'm struggling with other health issues, i.e. oxygen desaturation at night where no cause can be identified, now this where no cause seems to be identified. Does it sound like MDS to you? Is it okay to wait the 3 months? What if it's still high? Does that always mean MDS? Thank you so much. I'm quite upset. Bobby Jo p.s. I'm a 58 year old woman.