View Single Post
Old Fri Jul 2, 2010, 12:21 AM
Owner

Hi Bobby Jo.

The symptoms you've described don't sound much like MDS to me, or aplastic anemia either. From what I've read, elevated MCV (mean corpuscular volume) might result from B12 deficiency, as you say. Your white count may be on the low end of the scale but it seems to be your "steady state."

Did your blood test show that you are anemic (low red blood cell count) or have low platelets? If not, you don't match the symptoms of either aplastic anemia or MDS. If they did suspect either of those diseases they'd perform a bone marrow biopsy and aspiration to find out what's going on in your bone marrow, but I don't see why they'd even suspect AA or MDS.

Marrowforums members are mostly patients and caregivers (like me) so we can't give expert opinions like doctors, but since you've been stable for years it seems reasonable to me to wait for your next blood test to see if your MCV's small increase (from 101 to 103) is anything to be concerned with. Even if it's slightly high again, it wouldn't indicate MDS.

By "the old forum" do you mean the AA-MDS-TALK listserv?