View Single Post
Old Thu Sep 2, 2010, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyguy View Post
I wasn't any sicker after receiving news that I have made no progress, but he sort of put some big footprints in my garden of hope!
I hear you, Flyguy. I read this yesterday and spent much of the day thinking about it. The role of hope can be really tricky. On the one hand, doom and gloom and moping around really doesn't help you with treatment or recovery. On the other hand, getting your hopes up only to have them come crashing down can be a lot rougher emotionally than if you hadn't let yourself dream in the first place. So, what to do? Would you rather the doctor had not given you hope? I'm just asking, because this is something that bears on our role as forum participants too.

I think if I were in your shoes this would be the point at which I'd start investigating alternative/holistic approaches. While I tend to worry about people who choose herbs and meditation in lieu of seeking more conventional medical treatment, I do believe there are lifestyle changes that can help in some cases. More to the point, once you've exhausted the other options, you've got nothing to lose, and it seems better to do something than to sit around and wait. Of course it depends on whether or not you're the type of person who is willing to make a lot of dietary and other changes to you usual routine (I know it would be next to impossible to get my husband to do that!)

Just a thought. I wish you well (if only it were that easy!)