View Single Post
Old Sat Sep 11, 2010, 01:03 AM

Red face

Tom
Get a copy of your bone marrow biopsy and you will be able to see for yourself why they want to call it MDS. My doc told me I had MDS-"By default. Because it can't be anything else". I was "unclassified".
I was treated for Aplastic Anemia first. If you have no blasts-that's great. But, Dysplasia means that the cells are looking funky and it is up to the pathologist viewing your slides to make that call. It can be a subjective call-if you are without any chromosomal abnormalities or blasts.
Also, make sure you get all of the genetic blood tests to rule everything else out in case there is some latent disease coming out now.
Now I am not able to make any rbc or platelets and am t/f dependent. I was told that "It doesn't matter what you call it-It is Bone Marrow failure. Your body can't make any blood products".
I am due for my Stem Cell Transplant next week. I hope your counts recover as you have said. I understand your need to have a clear diagnosis. I wanted to join somebody's team, too.
My advice now is to watch your blood counts and don't get caught up too much in a label.
Marian , Dx 12/25/09 w/ hypoplastic myelodysplasia and 10% PNH clone. Dx changed to SAA in 1/10, treated w/ unsuccessful horse ATG and cyclosporine. Dx of unclassified MDS or acquired bone marrow failure, PNH clone 39% (after ATG). Due for BMT in Sept or Oct 2010.