View Single Post
Old Sun Sep 12, 2010, 12:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg H View Post
Hey Laura!

Thanks for that info. Does the Campath or ATG come into play prior to or after transplant?

It's interesting that one substitutes for the other. As I understand it, my doc uses ATG, so she doesn't want me using ATG for immunosuppression earlier on, in effect, saving it for use during transplant.

I clearly need to do some research into how these drugs work, so I better understand why she thinks its a problem to use them now and use them later.

Thanks again!

Greg
Hi Greg-
I have had 2 separate doctor's from different hospitals tell me that as well. They gave me a reason at the time, but it was a mute point for me because I had absolutely no response and my blood counts were getting worse. Multiple ATG and Campath do something to make transplants more difficult later on. I have read that as well. The AA/MDS International Foundation (www.aa/mds.org) touches on that if you look up Immunosuppressive Therapy and go to "Second ATG". I have seen it other places before. Having said that, I can't site you the medical reason why that is so, but I will continue to look. I also know that the more transfusions you have - the more antibodies you build up and that is more difficult for a transplant, too.
Good Luck,
Marian
Marian , Dx 12/25/09 w/ hypoplastic myelodysplasia and 10% PNH clone. Dx changed to SAA in 1/10, treated w/ unsuccessful horse ATG and cyclosporine. Dx of unclassified MDS or acquired bone marrow failure, PNH clone 39% (after ATG). Due for BMT in Sept or Oct 2010.