View Single Post
Old Wed Sep 15, 2010, 07:10 PM

Nicole

It seems different centers have different ways of doing things, if the blasts had increased too much then they probably would have made him go through some additional chemo prior to the transplant chemo. When I asked the doctor about this last month she said they would like the blasts under 5%, not necessarily a hard number. If it was 6 or 7 they would just go to transplant. Ideally she said they want to get the blasts down, give your body time to gain some strength and have your counts come up a bit before they hit you with another dose of chemo. We went through the same thing with the BMB after the initial induction therapy, some centers and doctors do a BMB after 14 days. In my husband's case they wanted to wait until the marrow had "settled down" and give the drugs time to work, so they did not do a BMB until a week after discharge.

I'm sorry that your husband is having these mouth sores, I hope that since his counts are trending up this will be short lived and improve each day. Thanks for the tip about the pillow cases, my sister brought a neck pillow that my husband loved. It was a smaller circumfrence, maybe 4-5 inches, unfortunately it got left behind. I think we have a good replacement.

Thanks and we'll try to enjoy the next few days, how are you holding up?

Speedy recovery,
Debbie
Debbie, wife of Mike age 58, diagnosed RAEB 2 April 2010. Initial blast count somewhere between 10-15% then 20% after two treatments of Dacogen. Completed induction therapy 8/2/2010. BMB 8/31/10 - 4% blasts. SCT 10/1/2010. Relapsed in 10/2014, second transplant from same donor on 12/31/2014.