View Single Post
Old Sat Sep 18, 2010, 06:09 AM

Ferritin value

Hi Chirley,
During last spring I had to have 2 units of blood every week instead of every third week - then I decided to try Thalidomide and that drug has had a positive effect on my fibrotic bone marrow. My ferritin level rose from 1500 to 5600 but now it is 2000 and slowly decreasing.

The high ferritin level is toxic for liver, heart and other organs as you know. That is the most important reason for trying to avoid too many blood transfusions - I have received 142 units of blood since dx May 2006. I have autohemolysis - that is the red blood cells don't live long. I always get cortison in connection with transfusions but I don't think it has much effect.

As far as I remember your ferritin level was low though you have had many blood transfusions. That is positive since a high ferritin level has a negative impact on SCT http://ash.confex.com/ash/2009/webpr...aper18585.html

Increasing blast cells is the most important reason for SCT - for most MDS patients a SCT is not an option either they are tx dependent or not. You are lucky being young and otherwise healthy.
Kind regards
Birgitta-A