View Single Post
Old Fri Sep 24, 2010, 09:16 PM

Smile After 32 Days inpatient, We're back Home!!!

Hello Everyone,

This is a bit long, but, I wanted to update you on Ron's treatment. (He jus finished induction chemo - inpatient for 32 days). We continue to be so very thankful to our Lord God and Savior First! And, we thank all out the that have prayed for us. It was a tough treatment, and Ron ended up having a chemo/narcotic affected Bowel problem too. He had been in so much pain the past several months, he was on Oxycotin and Dialadid at regular intervals, and let me say, Ron is not a pain medicine taking type of guy... but, he was in a lot of pain, so, he was willing to take whatever might work....

Ron developed what is called Ileus Bowel condition, meaning, there were pockets of his bowel that was not moving, etc. I refer to it as "Sleepy Bowel". Well, they put a nose drain tube in and wouldn't allow Ron to eat or drink for 4 days. (Ice chips only). They gave him nutrients via IV (TP2). Meanwhile, they treated him with a med called Restoril (shot in stomach). He received the med for 4 days... but, it did work. He then was on clear liquid diet for 2 additional days, and then, he was returned to a normal diet. (I reminded him to take it easy, and he did...).

Well, there were several times, the doctors called me in the hallway to tell me just how sick Ron was, and that his recovery would take a very long time. Amazingly, a week ago last Monday, Ron called on the Lord, in our nightly prayer... (We pray out loud, in front of each other, one at a time, before we go to sleep). This night, I heard the "Fight Return" in Ron's voice. It sounded so wonderful... And, from that day forward, he started improving every single day! The Doctors were shocked each day! Ron started smiling again, and he told me he was feeling good again... No Pain, No Fevers, No nightly sweats! It's awesome and we continue to Praise God for the wonderful treatments available and the wonderful doctors, but, we always hold God first in all treatments.... for he truly had his hand on Ron, and it was very noticeable!

We just got home this past Wed evening at 9pm. It was so emotional when we drove up the driveway, as, there were times, due to Ron being so sick before he even made it in for Induction Chemo, we did not know if he'd be coming down that drive again..... we didnt' discuss it with one another, but, separately, during this go.... we both thought it at one time or another...

So, what next??? We've decided, for the next stage of treatment, Ron will remain at Winship Cancer Institute at Emory University with his original doctor, who, is the Chief of Transplant. We were very pleased to be able to be treated by Dr. List's team while in Moffitt. Now, that it's confirmed as transitioning from MDS to AML, and Ron has gotten through the induction chemo, we have to make a decision where we go next.

Especially over the course of the past few months, and especially over the last 32 days inpatient in Tampa, FL, we truly realize just how important it is to have a strong support system as we approach the next round of chemo treatments and eventually tranplant.

While in Tampa, we thought we'd have a bigger support group, but, we really didn't. We heard a lot of people say... "If only you were in Atlanta, we'd be there for you, but, Tampa's so far away..." But, I realize Ron was inpatient for 3 wks already in Atlanta, and we didn't really have a lot of help.

Once time, after the 3 week long, back to back hosp stay, 5 siblings came to help all at once. They did help with house stuff and it was appreciated, but, the amount of people at the house was overwhelming. Then, the next day, we had 3 more guests arrive.... Ron could not rest. They all meant well, but, looking back, it wasn't the right thing for us to agree to, but, they did ask first, so, it was our fault for not managing visitations. I didn't want them all at once, worried about Ron, but, he encouraged them all to come and said it was just fine. But, later, he complained about the chatter, noise, etc.

This time, I've taken charge of the visitors. I've asked for no visitors for at least 2 wks, except for Ron's Adult children. After that, I've asked for maximum 2 people at a time for now. I believe that's best for Ron... and we'll go from there. My focus is Ron's health First...

So, our next step???? Just enjoy one day at a time. We are such planners, but, it's so overwhelming to plan out life having such an unpredictable disease, so, we're going to just live one day at a time for now, and deal with what we need to at the time.

Today Ron had blood work, his WBCs had been 3.7 (3700) last wed with daily growth factor injections. Today, they were down to 2.4 (2400). HBG 9.7 and holding, HCT 29%, Nuetrophils are well over 50%. Ron was platelet transfusion depending after treatment, but, last transfustion of PLT was tues morning. Wed PLT was 15 (15,000) and today up to 25 (25,000), so, look like those are on the climb, which we're thankful over!

We meant with our Winship Oncologist next Wed to discuss the next stage in treatment. Ron is still very weak, but, getting stronger each day. He starts physical therapy next week to build up his endurance. Being inpatient approx 7 wks over the past 2.5 months has taken a toll on his muscle mass. He will be working on that over the next few months especially!!!

Okay, sorry so long, just wanted to catch you all up. Thanks for continue prayers and for the personal individual messages. (I truly feel loved!).

Hugs, Cindy
Cindy, wife of Ron 66 dx w/MDS(RARS)Feb'09,Vidaza 13mons. BMB 2/10 -5q/increased blasts. Watch/wait May-Jul10. Revlimid Jul-Aug10:A-Fib. BMB Aug18, 12%blasts. MDS to AML. Induction completed 9/21/10. BMB Oct10:CR. Consolidaton:10/25/10. Dacogen Dec27-29. SCT on Hold. Fevers/Nt sweats Jan11.