View Single Post
Old Thu Oct 7, 2010, 02:16 PM

Question What about pets after the transplant?

The doctors I've spoken with have slightly differing opinions regarding pets after the transplant. We have long-haired cats, 6 of them. Several of them are indoor/outdoor.

All doctors are in agreement that I should not do anything with litter boxes. That is a chore I've happily given up doing since January. We plan to get an apartment near the hospital for the first several months following my transplant, so the cats won't be with us then. However, I'm concerned about going home after that. I've read once source that says you shouldn't have any indoor/outdoor pets. One doctor said it's okay to have the pets but they cannot sleep with you. Two other doctors said the pets were not an issue at all except to stay away from the litter boxes.

What has your experience been with your pets? What sorts of limitations and for how long? Any special handling tips?

Thanks, Karen
Karen, age 62, dx MDS RAEB-2 1/8/10: pancytopenia WBC 2.7k/Hgb 7.4/Hct 22.1/Plt 19k; complex cytogenetics -3,del(5)(q14q33),-6,+8,+mar,17% blasts. MUD BMT Johns Hopkins 11/30/10. Dx tongue cancer 8/31/12. ok now. blog mausmarrow.com

Last edited by mausmish : Thu Oct 7, 2010 at 07:39 PM.