View Single Post
Old Tue Oct 12, 2010, 08:01 PM

I must comment on this pets after transplant thread. What we were told was not to go out and add new puppies or kittens to the family, but just use common sense....no face licking, use hand cleaner after petting, have someone else "clean up" after them, etc. We have two Old English Sheepdogs and Mike didn't have a problem.

Also, this whole thing about "house sterilization" was something that was never addressed during all the pretransplant orientation. I just did my regular cleaning - nothing extra. Mike came home on Day 12 . We had hand sanitizers on the tables next to our living room chairs to use after petting the dogs. We also had them on the bedside tables for easy access because we let our pets on the bed with us.

I didn't have to gown up in the hospital when visiting. I even took naps in bed with Mike with my street clothes on. I have to admit that I was a little bit surprised at the "laid back" practices of the hospital. Mike had to use a mask in the hall, but we were allowed to leave the floor and go to an inside garden within the hospital.

I suppose every facility has their protocols about these things. The U of M Hospital is highly accredited and Mike never experienced any problems.
Mary, wife of Mike age 70; diagnosed MDS RARS 1999. Tried Vidaza, Revlimid, and Dacogen. SCT 10/1/09 at U of MI; induction FluBu2; sister perfect match donor. 5 years out, little to no GVHD. Off all meds. God is good