View Single Post
Old Mon Oct 18, 2010, 08:44 AM

Update on Ron - Post Induction Chemo

Hello All,
It's been several weeks since my last post. Ron is recovering very nicely. He has in-home physical therapy 3x wk, which has really helped him stay motivated. He's regaining his strength slowly for steadily. His BMB results from 10/04/10 showed clear BMB! YEAH! Complete Remission (CR)! So, next step, they normally would have started Consolidation Chemo today, but, the Doctor wanted to give Ron 1 additional wk for his body to recover.

Consolidation chemo will consist of only 1 type chemo and less than he received during induction. He'll receive it outpatient for one week only to start with, beginning Oct 25, 2010 and will receive it that week M-W-F beginning each day at 7:30am for 4 hrs. He will then be sent with some type of a pump, sort of like a fanny pack that will be programmed to turn itself on again that evening for the second deliver of chemo. As long as Ron does not develop any fevers & infection, he'll be outpatient. If fevers occur, he'll be admitted for close monitoring and care.

He'll be treated with Anti-fungals and Antibiotics, etc. and predisone eye drops due to the type of chemo he's receiving.

I'll let you know how he's doing. So far, the doctor is so very pleased with the blood counts. PLT 100, HGB 10.7, WBC 4.2 Neut 75%

Praise God for Ron's progress! Next step, SCT. They are currently in the process of checking his 6 siblings for a match. I'll let you all know how it goes! It's scarey but exciting, all at the same time. Please keep us, but, especially Ron in your prayers! I'm thankful that I've managed to stay healthy and have not come down with any colds or infections since Spring 2009. I'm so very thankful for that! That allows me to be with Ron so much!

Hugs, Cindy
Cindy, wife of Ron 66 dx w/MDS(RARS)Feb'09,Vidaza 13mons. BMB 2/10 -5q/increased blasts. Watch/wait May-Jul10. Revlimid Jul-Aug10:A-Fib. BMB Aug18, 12%blasts. MDS to AML. Induction completed 9/21/10. BMB Oct10:CR. Consolidaton:10/25/10. Dacogen Dec27-29. SCT on Hold. Fevers/Nt sweats Jan11.