View Single Post
Old Fri Nov 12, 2010, 03:08 AM
Owner

You've got the right questions, Kim, but it's hard for us patients and caregivers, each with our own experiences, to second-guess Shauna's situation. However, we can give you opinions. A transplant is a reasonable treatment choice because she's young (which means that she's a statistically good transplant risk) and because it's a chance for a cure (nobody wants AA hanging over them with their whole life ahead of them). But I wouldn't think it's "inevitable" since wait-and-watch would also seem to be a reasonable choice, especially since Shauna achieved remission for over 2 years before, and is doing OK right now. Repeated ATG treatments, including those given many years apart, can be all that's needed for some patients. It's a big decision, whether to stick with what you've got or accept the risks of a transplant for the chance to get a permanent cure.

When my wife and I faced that decision, second opinions were invaluable. I suggest that you get a second opinion if you can so you'll have as much information as possible.

The doctors may not be able to predict if Shauna can get off cyclosporin completely, but if she was able to get off of it last time, perhaps she can do it again, or at least get down to a very low dose.