View Single Post
Old Fri Nov 12, 2010, 07:53 AM

Cindy

Quote:
Originally Posted by launch View Post
Today is Day 18 following start of Consolidation Chemo Treatment. WOW! Didn't realize this treatment would knock Ron's blood counts so low! While he tolerated the treatment (chemo) very well, Ron developed a case of the shakes ("Riggers") and spike fever (101.6F-102.5F) on 11/03/10 (Wed), which was 9 Days ago. I had to take him to the ER, as advised by the on-call Hematologist. We arrived to the ER, then, his fever started going down, 100F at check-in, 99F when assigned inpatient room, then, 98.6F right before I went home to sleep in a real bed...

That fever, although it went away, landed Ron an automatic 3-5 day stay to receive IV Antibiotics. They said, they had to ensure whatever it was that caused the riggers and spike fever needed to be treated immediately and for 3-5 days. They did blood cultures, etc. and never found anything, but, Ron's fever never returned. I believe we were able to "nip it in the bud".

But, Ron's WBCs were only .5 (equals 500) when we checked into ER and they went down to .3 (300) and have stayed between 300-400 only. They will not release Ron until they start recovering and they reach at least 500. The doctor believes the counts will start showing recovery after the weekend, and hope to be able to release Ron on Monday when he will be on Day 22 following Consolidation start date.

Neither one of us realized the effect of the Consolidation Treatment and that it would knock his counts so low. This treatment was very strong, and Birgitta, you're right, we are very fortunate that Ron tolerated it so well. He feels good, other than, a few days he's had pains in his stomach. They haven't found anything (CT SCAN), except some minor inflammation. They believe the inflammation was a result of the chemo.

So, here we are, in the hospital, missing out on the Veteran Day "Freebies"... lol. Ron was in the US Air Force 30 yrs and I was in 20 yrs. We could have had a free 6" sub from subway today! I could do a chow-run, but, they would only give me one ;-p Not worth the drive, lol.

Happy Veteran's Day to All of you Veterans, and thank you to all that have supported the troops (ie. Spouses, Family Members, Friends, etc).

Love, Cindy
Happy Veterans Day to you both. I received your email and thank you. I will be following Ron's progress. This is one heck of a ride for everyone - I pray for yu both. Keep us informed.
Now have RAEB-2, Firbrosis 3+, blasts 18% peripheral, 10 - 14% blasts marrow, chromosomes now T 1:21, trisonomy 16 and 1.- Match found ---10/10 -couldn't believe when I heard - Tentative day is 1/09th!!!! Admit date changed to 11/12. WOW -