View Single Post
Old Fri Nov 19, 2010, 12:29 PM

NIH Campath Trial Day 4

Day 4 of the Campath Trial at the National Institutes of Health was the second day of a full 10 mg dose of the drug.

We started the day at 5:00 am, contributing a couple more vials of blood to the Phlebotomy lab. I finished up yesterday's report and ordered breakfast while waiting for my Fellow, Dr. Klost, to make his 8:00 am appearance.

IMG_0494 by hankins.greg, on Flickr

Lisa Z mentioned in a post on this thread that the NIH kitchen allows you to order any time of the day. Hours are from 6:30 am to 6:30 pm, and you have a one-page breakfast menu and a two page lunch dinner menu, plus page of liquids. They switched to a Fall menu this morning. Many of the items stayed the same from the Summer menu, but some changed.

If you're on a special diet, the room service operator is aware of that and won't be able to get you certain items. If you are "regular," like me, you can as much as you want, whenever you want. The food is in fact pretty good, though quality varies across the menu, so you have to experiment a little to find the stuff you like.

I like omelettes with spinach, mushrooms, and swiss cheese, but your mileage may vary. It takes about 45 minutes from ordering to get the food delivered to your room.

There's an Au Bon Pain down in the first floor lobby if you like a decent cup of coffee in the mornings. They open at 7:00 am, but not on weekends.

There are two cafeterias and a convenience store that your caregiver/visitors can use for nourishment.

Big Dose 2 -- Waiting for the rigors.

After Valtrex, Tylenol, and Benedryl at 9:30 am. We started the two-hour Campath drip at 10:15 and I held my breath for two hours waiting for the rigors to start. One hour, nothing; 1:30, nothing; 1:45, nothing. Two hours, nothing. No rigors!

Two hours after the Campath, I got the chills, but the shakes never appeared. Warm blankets worked for the chills. My fever started to spike around 3:30 pm, 38.1C or 100.5F. Eating ice took that down without Tylenol. It came and went during the night, but never higher than 100F.

And that, was that.
Greg, 59, dx MDS RCMD Int-1 03/10, 8+ & Dup1(q21q31). NIH Campath 11/2010. Non-responder. Tiny telomeres. TERT mutation. Danazol at NIH 12/11. TX independent 7/12. Pancreatitis 4/15. 15% blasts 4/16. DX RAEB-2. Beginning Vidaza to prep for MUD STC. Check out my blog at www.greghankins.com