View Single Post
Old Tue Dec 28, 2010, 12:27 PM

ITP vs MDS

Hello Dan, Yours is a very puzzling case as are many of us. If it were not for the chromosomal abnormality(trisomy 8) in the bone marrow, I think that you would still be classified as ITP. It is strange that your bone marrow did not show significant dysplasia in your megakaryocytes since the thrombocytopenia is your main problem. I wonder if you could have had ITP and then developed treatment-related MDS from the Imuran. I certainly agree with Greg and others that you should try seeking another expert opinion and NIH is a good suggestion. Perhaps Nplate would be another possibility?? I am a fan of "watch and wait" if your platelets stay in a reasonable range, say greater than 30k without bleeding symptoms,(and if your risk of progression is considered low.) Although it does restrict your lifestyle somewhat to have such low platelets, I think you always have to weigh the risks of the treatment(Vidaza, ATG, Campath, BMT, Nplate) against the risk of bleeding from the low platelets. Have you had any bleeding or bruising symptoms from the low platelets? What is your hemoglobin and WBC? I have dealt with low platelets for almost 28 years but I have been lucky. I wish you good luck and hope you have the luxury of waiting longer before having to make a decision about treatment. TyTd