View Single Post
Old Tue Dec 28, 2010, 04:59 PM

Dan,
>The Imuran caused T-MDS is a curiosity - most of the cases I have seen involved long term use at an average of 5+ years - I only took it for about 3 months. Possible, but probably unlikely? not sure. The articles I have read seem to focus on Monosomy 7, deletion 5q and 11q23 changes as therapy related MDS with Imuran, although I am sure there are exceptions.

Maybe it is not even possible,because there exists a considerable latency from the start of the previous/MDS causing therapy to diagnosis for t-MDS. In your situation there was practically no latency.

In the following study the median latency was 96 in range from 7-775 months. Many cases were investigated in this study. So i suppose you could not get MDS in such a short period of intake of Imuran till BMB.

https://service.gmx.net/de/cgi/deref...F2402713a.html

The study concludes that special karyotypal changes can be brought in more or less close connection to specific treatments; And that the sole +8 is more common in de novo AML/MDS.

Not only t-MDS can be caused by certain therapies/medicaments, but also De-Novo disease can go together with chromosomal changes caused by "non-iatrogenic exposure".

"However, chromosome changes in de novo disease may well be associated with non-iatrogenic exposure. For example, an association between exposure to organic solvents and trisomy 8 in AML has recently been reported.60".

So it could be possible that another substance or influence contributed to/caused your MDS.

Kiind regards,

Margarete