View Single Post
Old Thu Dec 30, 2010, 03:23 AM

Hi again,

My last ferritin level was 4,700 but I no longer require transfusions and haven't had one for 6 weeks now. The plan is to do venesections to bring the ferritin level down because I'm reluctant to take chelators.

My question is to do with liver function. My AST and ALT have been raised for many months but were stable. Now that I haven't had a transfusion for 6 weeks the AST, ALT and now the ALP as well, are increasing every week. My doctor hasn't mentioned the increasing levels to me and I only found out today that my LFTs were increasing because I was given a copy of the blood test reports which usually only gives the haematology results but today included the biochemistry results as well. I didn't look at the reports until I arrived home and it was too late to ask any questions.

It seems to me that if I haven't had a transfusion for 6 weeks but I have started copper injections 6 weeks ago that there are only 2 possibilities. One is that the copper is also accumulating in the liver and exacerbating the ferritin overload or the 2nd one is that the ferritin has caused liver damage which is now progressing without more ferritin insult.

Has anyone had abnormal LFTs from increased ferritin? Did they improve when the ferritin dropped? Any opinions on the copper theory?

Regards

Chirley
Xq19.36 mutation
Xq21.40. mutation
1p36. Mutation
15q11.2 deletion