View Single Post
Old Sat Jan 29, 2011, 07:36 AM

Hi Alex,

i also had a allogeneic Stem Cell Transplantion in a similar situation as you father was (20 % blasts in the bone marrow, MDS Raeb-2/ AML 2 according to the WHO-Classification. Raeb-T according to the FAB.- Classification.

This is 2 1/2 years ago. I never tried to make experiences with immunomodulary drugs.

My immune-system is supposedly very down after four chemos and the transplantation. I take Prograf/Tacrolimus, now only 1 mg every three days. I tried to get vaccinations - which is possible also in immunosuppressive status - but only with a "dead" vaccine, for example against some diseases like Streptococcus pneumoniae which is very dangerous for patients with immunosuppression after Stem Cell Transplantation. But my new vaccinations after SZT don`t work. My antibody-titer for Streptcoccus pneumoniae is too low. I repeated the vaccination series, but with no success either. My actual doctor in the hospital thinks the my status is too wead to build up a new immunisation.

This situation is a problem, me thinking that immunomodulary herbs oder drugs could be dangerous. As a have a chronical Graft-versus-Host-Disease, my immune systeme has to be suppressed by immunsuppression, not stimulated. Thats a little sad, but for me the best solution. Without immunosuppression my graft-versus-host-disease would become worser. so it happened since last autumn, when the doctors reduces my immunosuppression. There it could be a solution, - as it is done actually in my case - to try to treat the manifestations of the graft-versus-host disease locally instead of systemic immunosuppression with prednisoloen oder elevated immunosuppression.. Also GVHD-graft-versus-host-disease is dangerous for SZT-Patients, although it prevents a relapse to a certain degree. A better immune-status for me would actually not only increase the risk of relapse, but also for an acerbation of meine GVHD.

How is your father actually?

Best wishes for you and him

Margaret