View Single Post
Old Sun Apr 17, 2011, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mausmish View Post
Greg,

My brother was one of those PCP victims in New York in the 80's, and it has made me very paranoid about PCP.
Karen,

Those were trying times. I hadn't realized how important the early AIDS fight was in changing the way that medical researchers and pharma interact with patients until I read a chapter or two on that in Siddartha Mukherjee's fantastic book "The Emperor of All Maladies."

There's a direct line from the Act UP! AIDS activists and the breast cancer advocates who got Herceptin released to some patients before the results were all in.

Come to think of it, I haven't seen a review of that book on marrowforums -- I think I'll go write one!

I think Lisa Z is right that you want to be looking at your CD4 T-cell counts to decided about your prophylaxis for PCP. I don't know what my levels are right now, but I imagine they are still in the graveyard, since my absolute lymphocyte county hasn't budged in a month. Campath really knocks down the T-cells for a while. Maybe your heme can pull a CD4 count so you can be more (or less) comfortable about stopping the prophylaxsis.

Take care!

Greg
Greg, 59, dx MDS RCMD Int-1 03/10, 8+ & Dup1(q21q31). NIH Campath 11/2010. Non-responder. Tiny telomeres. TERT mutation. Danazol at NIH 12/11. TX independent 7/12. Pancreatitis 4/15. 15% blasts 4/16. DX RAEB-2. Beginning Vidaza to prep for MUD STC. Check out my blog at www.greghankins.com