View Single Post
Old Sun May 22, 2011, 12:17 PM

Ferritin Spikes - Wow!

Hi Chirley & Marlene!

Thanks for that info on ferritin spikes; highly interesting. I had read that ferritin was a pretty lousy measure of iron overload, used only because there isn't a better one, but I didn't realize it could jump up and down so dramatically.

I hope to have a ferritin reading taken by my usual lab on Tuesday, so it will be interesting to compare to the NIH number. I'll be interested to see whether they are in the same ballpark.

I'll have to read up on this ferritin stuff and iron overload. There seems to be a lot of skepticism about chelation in MDS. I wonder if, in part, this is because of the older profile of most MDS patients. If you're in your mid-50s, looking at lots and lots of transfusions in your future, that might give the docs a different perspective than if your a patient in your 80s looking at the same picture. I'm not sure it should make a difference, but it might.

Time to hit the medical journals!

Take Care!

Greg
Greg, 59, dx MDS RCMD Int-1 03/10, 8+ & Dup1(q21q31). NIH Campath 11/2010. Non-responder. Tiny telomeres. TERT mutation. Danazol at NIH 12/11. TX independent 7/12. Pancreatitis 4/15. 15% blasts 4/16. DX RAEB-2. Beginning Vidaza to prep for MUD STC. Check out my blog at www.greghankins.com