View Single Post
Old Mon Jun 13, 2011, 10:12 AM

Thank all of you!

Can't thank you enough. Contacting people like yourselves was the first thing I thought about when I heard about Cliff's diagnosis. My sister, Sue, is his caregiver and wife. But both of them don't seem to know how to advocate for themselves, so in hops pushy sister.

I experienced how helpful these forums are several years ago when I needed help. I would never have made it thru the ordeal without the help of unselfish people like yourselves.

The three of us attended a conference Saturday sponsored by the Aplastic Anemia & MDS International Foundation. Doctors David Steensma, Dana-Farbor Cancer Institute, and Mikkael Sekeres, Cleveland Clinic, did a fantastic job and were so "normal" you thought they were a friend. They answered questions, talked to people individually. We learned alot from other patients and their caregivers, most of whom we're not new to this disease - many in remission which was good for Cliff to see and hear.

I will be going with Cliff and Sue this Friday for an appointment with a CC doctor (can't remember name) who is involved in clinical trials. ( my notebook is ready to go!) We are pleased that CC has played a large part in the research of this disease and feel that Cliff will receive excellent care.

Forgot a few things, Cliff has not experience side effects other than extreme tiredness, no transfusions. And Greg, you are right on top of the 3 things needed to determine type of MDS and treatment. He hasn't been tested for step 3, chromosome defects. With the first two test, I came up with Intermediate 1, so glad I'm on the right track.

Again thank you all. I will keep in touch and hopefully will convince my sister to join in. Sandy (Sandra L)

Last edited by Sandra L : Mon Jun 13, 2011 at 10:25 AM.