View Single Post
Old Sat Nov 5, 2011, 12:59 AM

Ah, Shirley...I am glad you got to see the Devil...yes, Tasmania looks like a cold, but very beautiful place. Rats that it was drizzly, but I guess that's what keeps it green.

I understand your hesitation to get back into the grind of the copper infusions. You're right, blood transfusions are relatively easy. The downside we are facing is the ever increasing iron load. I started compiling Bruce's lab reports today and putting the numbers into Excel, something I had been putting off. Seeing those ferritin levels climb is sobering.

It has been nice to be able to wait a little longer between transfusions. Bruce was gonna wait till after our trip to Los Angeles to deal with the transfusion, but decided he better have more bloodwork and get transfused if necessary before we travel. So he will go next Tues for bloodwork, type and banding.

We also got a call yesterday from the hematologist, wanting my records from the copper infusions we've been doing at home. So, it sounds like he is truly following up.

We did ask our family doctor a few weeks ago about the slit lamp test -- the slit lamp is the light used in optical exams. From what I read, the rings are supposed to be detectible from slit lamp exam before they are visible just by looking at the eye. Our doctor said that exam would have to be done by an opthalmologist. Hmmm, now wondering if that is one of the things they look at in a routine optical exam, or if it has to be requested specially.

While going thru a few inches of paper preparatory to our trip south to the doctor, I saw a little note that the Mayo clinic can do genetic testing of a blood sample which will identify if one has the Wilson's gene. Bruce inquired about that today.

Hugs. I am glad you got to take your trip and are enjoying being home again. I bet you missed the pups! There's no place like home.
Catherine, wife of Bruce age 75; diagnosed 6/10/11 with macrocytic anemia, neutropenia and mild thrombocytopenia; BMB suggesting emerging MDS. Copper deficient. Currently receiving procrit and neuopogen injections weekly, B12 dermal cream and injections, Transfusions ~ 5 weeks.