View Single Post
Old Sat Nov 5, 2011, 11:05 PM

Sunshine,

Sorry to hear about your Dad. I'm not smart about the hydroxyurea and Anagrelide; most MDS folks I run into around here have too few platelets instead of too many.

I have MDS and need red blood cell transfusions every other week. I'm a little younger than your Dad, and probably have a daughter about your age. I don't know how your Dad feels or what kind of help he might need, but I feel pretty much fine -- other than being tired and having blood pounding in my ears at night. As a result, I don't really need any "help."

So, if my daughter told me she wanted to come over and help me because I have MDS, I'd probably tell her I didn't need any help. On the other hand, if she called up and wanted to go to a movie, or a ballgame, or out for dinner or coffee, I'd definitely take her up on it.

It's pretty much a pain having a disease like MDS, and part of the pain can be having folks make too much of a big deal about it (I know, it is a big deal, but no one like to be reminded about how big a deal it is all the time.).

Maybe if you can take the focus off of your Dad's disease and just take him out to a movie, or bowling, or whatever he likes to do, you'll get a little further toward your goal of helping him.

Remember, that's just one old guy's opinion. Your Dad is lucky to have a concerned and loving daughter.

Good luck!

Greg
Greg, 59, dx MDS RCMD Int-1 03/10, 8+ & Dup1(q21q31). NIH Campath 11/2010. Non-responder. Tiny telomeres. TERT mutation. Danazol at NIH 12/11. TX independent 7/12. Pancreatitis 4/15. 15% blasts 4/16. DX RAEB-2. Beginning Vidaza to prep for MUD STC. Check out my blog at www.greghankins.com