View Single Post
Old Wed Dec 7, 2011, 05:17 AM

Exclamation Looking for help

Hello Everyone,
I'm here looking for direction in my search for answers for me son. It seems we have gone from one doctor to another over the last 2 years, without ever progressing, and late nights of self research have led me here.
My son is 6, and presents as a "typical" anemic. E_treme (forgive my broken w_yz key) pallor, irritability, fatigue, loss of appetite, slow growth/weight gain and pica (of hair, which he pulls from his head and eats). However, his blood work doesn't reflect anything typical.
I should mention that he flu_uates given his current iron dosage, but that the e_amples I give for lab values are normal for a bad period.
Reticulocyte Count/Absolutes 16440 (23000-92000) cells/uL
WBC 4.5 (5-16) Thousand/uL
MCV 89.0 (73-87) fL
Total Iron 24 (27-164) mcg/dL
% saturation 8 (8-48) %
Everything else RBC, Hg, Ht, TIBC is (and always has been) well within the normal range. He isn't considered to have anemais because of the fact all those levels are fine. But his symptoms are relieved when total iron/% sat are brought up into normal range. (However his retic count never gets higher than low end of normal, and the MCV is out of range no matter what).
I have asked for B12 and folate checks (low values seem in macrocytic anemias(high MCV))) - also well within normal range.
SO . . . . I can't wrap my head around low retic count (sometimes e_tremely) and healthy RBC levels. Any e_planation there would be greatly appreciated. And while everyone seems concerned about his WBC levels, and consistently low retic and consistenly high MCV, not a single doctor to date has given me even a possible answer. Suggestions for e_ploration?

I know this seems trivial in light of many of the issues faced by forum members, but as his Mom, seeing his tired, ravaged body with a balding head not gaining weight, and crying from e_haustion, it doesn't seem trivial at all. Any help would be greatly appreciated.