View Single Post
Old Wed Dec 28, 2011, 09:04 PM

Hi again,

Platelet transfusions are not the problem with iron overload. It's the red blood product that contains iron that goes right into the bloodstream without being metabolized, as is the case with iron in foods like spinach.

I think it is great that you are getting Neupogen. That will hopefully help the stem cell population recover more quickly, thus contributing to the response.

I was getting platelets almost every day post-ATG. The thing about platelets is that they only live 5 days. By the time you get the transfusion, the platelets you are getting could have only 2-3 days of life remaining. There was one morning in the hospital that my platelet count was zero!!!

I did not know about this site post-ATG, and it was VERY depressing to see my need for platelets go from once a week to nearly every day after the ATG; but reading others' experiences tells me that what I went through was entirely normal.
Male, 56, dx Nov2006 VSAA (BMA:0%). Responded to ATG/CsA/Prednisone/Neupogen Dec 2006, but relapsed in June 2007. Counts are responding to using CsA 200mg bid alone since Jun 2008. Last PRBC tx: Jul 2008.