View Single Post
Old Sat Feb 25, 2012, 11:29 PM

In hospital now

We ended up going to ER with my dad two days after my initial post. His fever went up to 104 for first time. He was admitted and is still in hospital treated for a possible pneumonia. They found an enlarged lymph node in my dad's chest. It's pushing on the bronchioles causing his symptoms of coughing, wheezing. They think the lymph nodes are due to his disease of leukemia and so the pneumonia may not even be the case here. Also, I found out today that his blood tested positive for TB. They are further testing if it is a latent TB or active by collecting sputum and if negative then they'll do a biopsy of the lymph node. My dad grew up in Poland and says he was vaccinated for TB when he was young (at the time TB was common there, not anymore...) and that may cause his blood to test positive for TB. He's isolated now and we are to wear masks around him. I'm so HOPING it's not TB! I'm so disappointed at this news today even though it's not yet a 100% but still not what we need to hear on top of everything else...
He's receiving antibiotics for his maybe pneumonia, and doctor decided to continue the second round of Vidaza in hopes that it will decrease the enlarged lymph nodes. We will know more next week but in the meantime his breathing sounded worse today, he gets blood and platelet transfusions everyday.
I was wondering why the enlarged lymph nodes? What are the chances that Vidaza will work in his situation...