View Single Post
Old Fri Mar 9, 2012, 09:36 PM

Bare with me ~ Insight on AA

I am new to this disease. So new that I just learned about it's existence today!

One of the Mom's in my 7 year old son's class was diagnosed yesterday with Aplastic Anemia. Our sons have become pretty good friends and our families have become close in the past year. Because my 9 year old daughter has Leukemia (in remission since 2009), when my friend started feeling tired and sick and was telling me of her symptoms, I knew right away that she was having an issue with her blood. She's been in and out of the hospital for 3 weeks now. They FINALLY did the bone marrow aspiration a few days ago and diagnosed her with aplastic anemia yesterday. They said that her body is producing only 10% of her bone marrow right now. What is your opinion about the protocal with these circumstances? I've read things about chemotherapy, radiation and bone marrow transplants...they told her she'd need a bone marrow transplant, but they are going to try a few drugs. Are there drugs that can help your body PRODUCEe bone marrow? I was just hoping as a newbie to this that maybe I could get some information here?

Many thanks!