View Single Post
Old Sun Mar 25, 2012, 07:42 PM

New to forum - What comes next

Hello to all -

I am hoping that I am posting this in the right section.

My dad who is 76 was diagonised 2/18/2011 with Refractory Anemia with Excessive blasts, he started Vidaz on 2/21/2011. His blood counts at the time of starting Vidaz were, WC: 2.1, RC: 10.2, Plalets: 37, they have either stayed around the same or drastically have went down. He has had blood transfusions 4 times within the last year. As of last Monday (He goes every Monday to give blood, with results given to him with 3-5 hour time span) is blood count was WC: 1.5, RC: 8.6, Plalets: 22. He has been hospitalized twice, with the last stay being 3 days in 2/2012. The doctor on the initial diagonies told us he will have to do this for the REST of his life. There are no chances of remissions. Not sure what that means, I mean I think I know what it means, but maybe I dont want to think about it. I just dont know.

With his last stay the Doctor had told us that he believes that the Lukemina has went to the next stage. I asked the Doctor what he meant, he stated that there were no other stages, and if the Vidaza was not working he had one other drug that he could adminster (Dacogon), but he stated that he really didn't believe that it would do anything, but prolong things, What does this mean???

My dad is ALWAYS tired, his legs are always aching. For him to walk from one area of the house to other is a daunting task for him at times, and this is what he tells us, I am sure there are other things that bother him, but he doesn't want us to know. This past weekend he was in bed for two days, he was so constipated, tired, and in so much pain, he couldn't get out of bed. When he did try to get out of bed he was so dizzy, and pasted out twice on my mom, literally was out.

I guess what I am hoping for is someone to tell us what we can expect from here. Will there be more hopsital stays, more times where he can't get out of bed? Is this what we have left? His doctor is pretty direct sometimes, but other times he is very vague, not sure why. We just want to know what to expect from here. Maybe we aren't asking the right questions to the doctor, for him to give us the answer.

Thank you!!!