View Single Post
Old Wed Mar 28, 2012, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bebop View Post
Neil just my opinion that if the marrow is not making the red blood they just die off too soon to accumalate the iron. dad's dr never said why he didn't get overloaded but that is my thinking.
I have only had sixteen units. I don't make red cells, and my ferritin is elevated.

Here is something from Wikipedia.

"Immune response

Ferritin concentrations increase drastically in the presence of an infection or cancer; this is necessary to counter the infective agent's attempt to bind iron from the host's tissue.[15] The inflammatory response may cause ferritin to migrate from the plasma to within cells, in order to deny iron to the infective agent.[15]

Stress response

The concentration of ferritin has been shown to increase in response to stresses such as anoxia;[16] this implies that it is an acute phase protein.[17]"
Dallas, Texas - Age 81 - Pure Red Cell Aplasia began March 2005 - Tried IVIG - Then cyclosporine and prednisone. Then Danazol, was added. Then only Danazol . HG reached 16.3 March 2015. Taken off all meds. Facebook PRCA group https://www.facebook.com/groups/PureRedCellAplasia/