View Single Post
Old Thu Mar 29, 2012, 01:32 PM
Owner

Leon,

Without dysplasia, the diagnosis of myelodysplasia can easily be questioned. However, you mentioned only that no chromosomal abnormalities were observed in your bone marrow biopsy results. Were misshapen cells observed? I suggest asking your hemotologist about this. You can ask about your cellularity too. Also, if you don't mind trying to sort though the medical jargon you could get a copy of the BMB lab report and see firsthand what it says.

The crazy way your platelets fluctuated (246, 80, 213, etc.) made me think, at first, that higher counts after you started prednisone might just be a coincidence of timing, but now that you've been on higher and lower doses a couple of times and had your platelet count go up and down in parallel, the correlation seems to be a true cause and effect. Every patient is unique, so a treatment that's working is like money in the bank.

In a way, treatment is more important than diagnosis, since what to do about your low counts is more important than what they call your condition, but I still encourage you to ask questions until you have more confidence that you have the right diagnosis, because knowing the disease and its subtype brings to the table a wealth of statistics and years of medical research, much of it based on disease categorizations.