View Single Post
Old Mon May 14, 2012, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo Jim View Post
For those of you who have had liver issues, how long does it take before the flareups end and your donor cells stop attacking your liver
My liver issues weren't GvHD but most likely a bad drug reaction, but even so, they took around a year to return to mostly normal levels, if I remember correctly. Your liver takes a LONG time to heal. That doesn't really answer your question, mind, but I thought my timeline might at least be helpful in that your liver levels move very slowly. Also, I've learned that I cannot have even a single beer in the 24hrs before a liver test, or it'll seriously throw the results, and in a bad way!

Quote:
And a more general question, how long does it take to completely get off all drugs, on average, if you have gone through standard treatment of care and have had relatively few post transplant issues?
Well, in most cases we're on a prophylactic antibiotic for life - for me, that's Azithromycin once a day, every day (I just think of it like a vitamin). I was on Aciclovir up until the ~2-2.5 year mark, too, but those were the only long-term drugs. I quit most of my pills at about the 6 month mark.

(To recap, I had a mini transplant, no radiation, with only very minor skin GvHD, no prednisone, and a fairly typical set of infections post-transplant)
36/F - 1984 SAA treated with ATG [complete remission until] Oct 08 - burst blood vessels in eyes and low platelets; Jan 09 - AA & hypo-MDS; July 09 - BMT (RIC MUD PSCT) July 10 - 10k for Anthony Nolan (1yr post BMT! 53:48) Sep 10 - Wedding! I've run 5 marathons now!! (PB 3:30!)