View Single Post
Old Wed Jun 6, 2012, 01:07 PM

Only Transfusions - Hospice?

Found out that Dad’s pain was due to sciatic nerve pain from a ruptured disc and NOT Aranesp. But since Arenesp isn’t working, and Dad doesn’t want it, the dr decided to discontinue it. He asked my Dad to come in every two weeks for a CBC test.
I think the dr was irritated, because when Dad said he wasn’t sure he could get in that often, Dr told him he could write hospice orders right now. Dad said he wasn’t ready for that yet. Although I was talking to someone who said you can still get transfusions with hospice status.

I asked about Thalidomide, but when the dr said it would bring his counts down and he would have to get more transfusions initially, dad said no. He doesn’t want to do anything except transfusions, and he wants to limit those too.

Bebop, I’m so glad to hear that severe pain wasn’t part of your Dad’s treatment. Your experience means so much to me. If my dad could just enjoy a low pain, peaceful, and sedentary life for the remainder of his time, he would be so happy!!!

Last edited by deeno : Wed Jun 6, 2012 at 01:08 PM. Reason: spelling