View Single Post
Old Wed Jun 13, 2012, 07:59 AM

Vidaza and Your Dad

PeppersM:
Our hema/onc tells us that it takes between 4 and 6 sessions to see if either Vidaza or Dacigen is working. I understand what you mean about having a vital and eergetic person - then to have someone unable to do a lot of things he was used to. The same goes for my husband. Check out the following link - and you will see how active and able he used to be.
http://1789-loghouse-mcconnellsmill.com/index.html

Regarding his appetite - ask the Dr. to prescribe him some marinol. I know it has helped Earl - he is FAR from his usual self, but at least his appetite is better, and the nausea is also less.

Too - if you are unhappy with the Dr. - check out other ones in your area. I understand what you mean about him not wanting to upset the Doc - but the bedside manner, and the degree of care and understanding a physician gives is as important as what he prescribes. I know my husbands PCP was not at all familiar with MDS - and I had to educate him with what I knew - and that meant taking a lot of information to him that I got from the AA/MDS Foundation. And he seemed genunely appreciative.

Also - you said he used to like to garden. So did Earl. Of course we have scaled down LOTS - but we have 2 large urns/pots that we have veggies planted in right outside our kitchen door - and at least he will be able to get a fresh tomato or pepper when they get mature - and he doesn't have to walk far just to look at them. This might improve your father's spirits a bit.

I wish you all the luck, and I hope things turn around for your Dad.

Beth