View Single Post
Old Thu Jun 21, 2012, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by milliken2 View Post
PeppersM:
Our hema/onc tells us that it takes between 4 and 6 sessions to see if either Vidaza or Dacigen is working. I understand what you mean about having a vital and eergetic person - then to have someone unable to do a lot of things he was used to. The same goes for my husband. Check out the following link - and you will see how active and able he used to be.
http://1789-loghouse-mcconnellsmill.com/index.html

Regarding his appetite - ask the Dr. to prescribe him some marinol. I know it has helped Earl - he is FAR from his usual self, but at least his appetite is better, and the nausea is also less.

Too - if you are unhappy with the Dr. - check out other ones in your area. I understand what you mean about him not wanting to upset the Doc - but the bedside manner, and the degree of care and understanding a physician gives is as important as what he prescribes. I know my husbands PCP was not at all familiar with MDS - and I had to educate him with what I knew - and that meant taking a lot of information to him that I got from the AA/MDS Foundation. And he seemed genunely appreciative.

Also - you said he used to like to garden. So did Earl. Of course we have scaled down LOTS - but we have 2 large urns/pots that we have veggies planted in right outside our kitchen door - and at least he will be able to get a fresh tomato or pepper when they get mature - and he doesn't have to walk far just to look at them. This might improve your father's spirits a bit.

I wish you all the luck, and I hope things turn around for your Dad.

Beth

Beth,

Thanks for sharing......it truly is powerful to connect with others who are dealing with similar situations.

Your suggestion about the large pot closer to the house for gardening is genius! My husband and I will be getting on that this weekend.

My very best wishes for you & your family.