View Single Post
Old Sun Jul 1, 2012, 10:52 PM

Definitely AML. Idarubicin and Cytrabine

Thank you for your responses. I was beginning to feel alone.

At any rate, a few things have happened since my original posting.

My FIL's June BMB came back with 29% blasts. They called us on Friday, June 22nd and said to report to Morgantown immediately on Monday.

Here is a little lowdown on his levels .. ( I have this weeks, but being chemo altered, I just opted to give the ones before chemo started)

Monday, June 18 - after being transfused
Hemoglobin - 10.7
WBC - 2.4
RBC - 14

Wednesday, June 20
Hemoglobin - 8.8
WBC - 2.6
RBC - 10 .. received platelets

Monday, June 25 (after arriving in Morgantown to Hemo/Onco)
Hemoglobin - 6.7
WBC - 2.6
RBC - 4

On Monday, he had his decisions to make. No treatment, or treatment. They said without treatment, he would maybe make it for another month. He opted for treatment, Thank God Almighty. They did say that the chances are slim, but he is willing to do what it takes. He is such an inspiration. They said he had a 1:10 survival ratio, yet said he had a 50/50 shot of surviving. Tomorrow is the day that I get to speak with the Hemo/Oncologist, so I have a few questions. Well, a lot actually.

When we arrived on Monday, of course he had to receive 4 units of blood and also platelets. His platelet count has since gone to 0, and they are saying his body is rejecting them. Foreign objects. I guess it's not really uncommon with this insidious disease. They are currently trying to find a more suitable platelet donor.

At any rate, he is taking the combo - Idarubicin and Cytrabine. He started the chemo on June 26th. Since then, it hasn't been easy. His platelet level is still 0, his hemoglobin keeps dropping, he has had two transfusions and getting one in the wee hours of the morning, it has dropped to 6.8 since the last one. I don't know why they are continuing to give him platelets. It does not 'up' any of the numbers. Not even to 1.

Sooo.. has anyone had experiences with AML and the chemo? Good? Bad? Has anyone went into remission who has been in a similar situation? I know that everyone is different with this disease.

We did have a scare on Wednesday. He has been fevered (over 102) since he's been here. He had a Bronch done Thursday. They were pretty worried about doing it, because of his platelet level .. but he made it through that. The power of prayer, and God, is totally the most awesome thing we have.

He is also on some pretty heavy duty antibiotics. They are checking into possible kidney problems, as his legs and feet are gigantic! This man surely needs a break. He has been there for my husband and I .. and also our five year old son. They have a great bond that makes my heart so warm. We just want to do our best to take care of him and bring him home without this damn disease. We pray for remission everyday. Not only for our loved one, but for everyone having to deal with MDS/AML everywhere. God Bless all of you, and every day, I lift you all up in prayer .. patients, caregivers, loved ones .. all of us who know what all of this is like.

God Bless,
Amy