View Single Post
Old Mon Jul 9, 2012, 08:27 AM

Just a short update to say that yesterday was my 3rd year rebirthday! I ran another 10km race last Sunday for a lovely little charity, ACLT (Afro-Caribbean Lukaemia Trust) who help promote blood and bone marrow donation, and I just couldn't say no! I ended up *finally* getting the sub-50 time I've been chasing for years, finishing in 47:53 and as the first woman charity runner. The people there were really wonderful and supportive and I then spoke about bone marrow donation to my 150-strong person running group last week and got (hopefully) loads of new donators on the registry. My running group is very racially mixed, with a great mix of ages, too, so hopefulyy everyone can spread the word.

I'm starting week 4 of my marathon training now, it's feeling (shh!) quite easy at the moment but I know it'll get much tougher soon.

Oh! And I forgot to mention that there's another transplantee in my running group now, too! He's only 9 months post transplant, but he's already running in the same group as me, and doing SO well! I was so excited when I found out, I almost hugged the life out of him.
36/F - 1984 SAA treated with ATG [complete remission until] Oct 08 - burst blood vessels in eyes and low platelets; Jan 09 - AA & hypo-MDS; July 09 - BMT (RIC MUD PSCT) July 10 - 10k for Anthony Nolan (1yr post BMT! 53:48) Sep 10 - Wedding! I've run 5 marathons now!! (PB 3:30!)

Last edited by squirrellypoo : Mon Jul 9, 2012 at 08:54 AM. Reason: remembered my running friend