View Single Post
Old Mon Jul 23, 2012, 11:24 PM

Thanks for the words of encouragement

Linda;
Thanks for the words of encouragement - they mean more than I can ever tell you. Yes - it is VERY hard for me as a nurse to watch Earl's demise - but at the same time, I do know the 'necessary numbers' and push for transfusions or meds as needed. His transfusion level is a Hemoglobin rate of 8.5 - normal Hgb for males (not MDS affected) is 13-17. If I can get Earl's anywhere above 9 - we celebrate! The hema/onc that is treating him likes to use the rate of 8.0 - but Earl just can't function there. We did agree to wait on a transfusion when he was 8.3 - but then - he seemed to be walking without assistance - and didn't need help getting up from the bed or a chair. But with today's level - I pushed for the transfusion - and I don't think I will ever let him get below 8.5 again - it makes it too hard for him to regain some strength. I do know that the last BMB showed a 2% increase in blast level - and these last 2 were done at the same independent lab. The hema/onc doesn't seem too concerned - but when I asked about Promacta or Exjade for the excess iron - he seemed a but perturbed. I guess he is not used to having a wife who asks so many questions.
Good Luck to you and Al, and know that you are also in our prayers.

Beth