View Single Post
Old Sun Aug 5, 2012, 03:11 PM

I have some questions about my girlfriends prognosis

My girlfriend had very bad aplastic anemia around ten years ago, she was I dunno, five, six, seven? She was young. She came to the USA to get it treated from another county and wound up getting a BMT (bone marrow transplant) from her direct sister. She recovered and she is alive now, she isn't still sick or anything.
I got really scared though, because I have been reading about the prognosis and the "survival rates" over time. I don't really know how to understand it. I just want someone who can explain it to me so I can.
She's been "cured" I guess you could say for ten years. She doesn't go to follow up treatment anymore. Does she have a new lease on life or is she going to drop dead before we are old? After a perfect prognosis, what is the survivability once you are "cured" ?

I'm just really puzzled because I hear information saying people consider themselves "cured" practically after a very successful BMT and "live much longer".

I don't know what this means and I really want some answers from someone who would know more than me.