View Single Post
Old Sun Aug 5, 2012, 11:03 PM

I am the one who is blessed

Briggita, Sally & Patti;

Thank you all so much for your understanding, encouragement, and most of all hope. Of course, I pray everyday that The Lord will take this disease away from Earl - and like I tell Him - give it to me - I can handle things better, and can ask questions when needed without being told.
Patti - 6 units of blood at one time is a LOT of blood - sounds like Dean had been sucked dry - since your body only has between 5 and 6 pints of blood to start with. I know this almost happened to Earl when we were in Florida over the winter - I was there when he had the first 2 units - and then they gave him another 2 during the night - and he called me at 6:30 AM and said they were going to give him another 2 units. I said an emphatic NO - and called the nurses station and talked to the supervisor. Makes me wonder if he even needed the second 2 units since it was the same nurse who did the blood draw - but this time I was present. Since he had a PICC line in at the time, an RN had to do the blood draw. I told her to wait until I got there before anything else was done. Here, they had been testing Earl's counts on the diluted waste tube, instead of drawing another one out for his CBC. Hence - he did NOT get the last 2 units. Make sure when they check Dean they are not using the waste blood.
I can only hope his counts improve. We go tomorrow AM again for his Monday blood draw - then he will get the 2 units on Tuesday. I am sure his levels are below 8.0 for his Hgb - since they were 8.3 on Friday, and he has had a continued downward weakness over the past 2 days. But - I sure would love to see them improve for sure. This will start his 2nd week off chemo - so in 2 weeks we start the 6th session of Dacogen. We do have an asppointment with the hema/onc on Tuesday - and for sure - I am already prepared with some questions.
Take care ladies.

((((HUGS))))
Beth