View Single Post
Old Tue Oct 9, 2012, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teo View Post
Hi Hopeful,

I spoke to my sister again and it was confirmed that YES, only 25mg/day for 3 months then increase to 50mg/day for another 3 months.

About your statement on the therapeutic dosage for cyclosporine is 5mg per kg of her body weight per day. So, someone weighing 50 kg (for example) would take 50*5 or 250 mg of cyclosporine per day. This dosage is typically divided between morning and evening to maintain a more stable level.

Just wondering is this a international standard dosage for MDS ?

cheers
teo
Unfortunately, as you are discovering, there is no "standard" dosage of cyclosporine for these diseases. 5 mg/kg/day is an accepted regimen based on a number of clinical trials and published papers. Someone weighing 50kg, for example, would take 125 mg in the AM and 125 mg in the PM. Some doctors will take trough measurements to ensure a target cyclosporine level in the blood while others will just look at the trough to ensure that the concentration doesn't exceed a toxic level in the blood.

You may want to see if your mom's doctor is willing to consult with an expert in AA/MDS in the States or elsewhere. You will have to approach this very diplomatically, explaining that although you highly respect his expertise, you fear that your mom may have a very rare disease and would like him to consult with someone who has seen more cases of this before. I have found that the experts in these diseases are very willing to share their knowledge.